Spellweb is your one-stop resource for definitions, synonyms and correct spelling for English words,
such as explain. On this page you can see how to spell explain. Also,
for some words, you can find their
definitions, list of synonyms, as well as list of common misspellings.
clarify, explicate, account, describe, justify, rationalize.
come back, answer, expound, echo, acknowledge, reply, countercharge, rebut, counter-accuse, counter-state, retort, counterclaim, respond, counter-reply, counter, return.
elaborate on or upon.
condense, annotate, interpret, decipher, decode, render, translate, transcribe, analyze, paraphrase, restate, rephrase, report, elucidate, comment.
make clear; give a reason for
clarify, unravel, account for, diagram, set right, go into detail, solve, get across, break down, justify, describe, throw light upon, put across, paraphrase, annotate, bring out, read, refine, excuse, unfold, resolve, construe, spell out, interpret, put in plain English, explicate, rationalize, reveal, untangle, analyze, clear up, illustrate, disclose, elucidate, translate, define, point out, make plain, expound, tell, manifest, decipher, teach, demonstrate, render.
define, imply, mean, indicate, connote, denote, signify, intend.
defend, object, react, refute, deny.
Examples of usage:
– Captain Jinks, Hero by Ernest Crosby
– The Campaner Thal and Other Writings by Jean Paul Friedrich Richter
– Frank's Campaign or the Farm and the Camp by Horatio Alger, Jr.
– The Nest, The White Pagoda, The Suicide, A Forsaken Temple, Miss Jones and The Masterpiece by Anne Douglas Sedgwick
– The Cross-Cut by Courtney Ryley Cooper