- English - United States is currently selected. Change
Spellweb is your one-stop resource for definitions, synonyms and correct spelling for English words, such as withering. On this page you can see how to spell withering. Also, for some words, you can find their definitions, list of synonyms, as well as list of common misspellings.
Spell check of withering
- Correct spelling:
- painful (adjective)
- troublesome, irritating, hurtful, anguishing, annoying, acute, distressful, biting, crushing, miserable, bitter, tormenting, gnawing, harrowing, disagreeable, sore, bothersome, unpleasant, cutting, trying, grievous, burdensome, insufferable, piercing, irksome, offensive, oppressive, aggravating, painful, agonizing, woeful, unbearable, torturing, aching, horrendous, inflaming, stinging, uncomfortable, severe, cruel, odious, excruciating, stabbing, wrenching, cramping, arduous, chafing, smarting, throbbing, grueling, besetting.
- drying (verb)
- sucking dry, stanching, mopping, dehydrating, dehumidifying, emptying, swabbing, vaporizing, draining, parching, wringing out, blotting, desiccating, catheterizing, wiping, evaporating, drying, pumping out.
- contracting (verb)
- shrinking, condensing, abbreviating, squeezing, deflating, compressing, abridging, compacting, contracting.
- deteriorating (verb)
- tergiversating, slumping, degenerating, downgrading, worsening, dilapidating, ebbing, fading, getting worse, falling apart, retrogressing, collapsing, putrefying, reverting, declining, waning, sliding, wilting, lapsing, slipping, decaying, atrophying, relapsing, mouldering, going downhill, sinking, regressing, deteriorating.
- Other synonyms:
- devastating, destructive, annihilating, disrespectful, annihilative, atrophy.
- Common misspellings:
- whithering (58%)
- writhering (25%)
- whethering (8%)
- wethering (8%)
- Examples of usage:
She was bitterly disappointed with Doggie for the sudden withering of her hopes. - - "The Rough Road", William John Locke.
There is growth nor increase, death nor withering upon the fairies. - - "The Rough Road", William John Locke. no no - "The Fairy-Faith in Celtic Countries", W. Y. Evans Wentz.
leaned back in his chair and twisted his blunt features into an expression of withering contempt. - - "The Rough Road", William John Locke. no no - "The Fairy-Faith in Celtic Countries", W. Y. Evans Wentz. Mr. Kybird - "At Sunwich Port, Complete", W.W. Jacobs.
- She was bitterly disappointed with Doggie for the sudden withering of her hopes.
Discover what are words like withering. Discover what is a synonym for withering. Discover what is another word for withering. Discover what is an alternative word for withering. Discover what are more words for withering.