Spellweb is your one-stop resource for definitions, synonyms and correct spelling for English words,
such as explain. On this page you can see how to spell explain. Also,
for some words, you can find their
definitions, list of synonyms, as well as list of common misspellings.
account, clarify, describe, explicate, justify, rationalize.
acknowledge, answer, come back, counter, counterclaim, echo, expound, rebut, reply, respond, retort, return, countercharge, counter-accuse, counter-reply, counter-state.
elaborate on or upon.
analyze, annotate, comment, condense, decipher, decode, elucidate, interpret, paraphrase, render, rephrase, report, restate, transcribe, translate.
make clear; give a reason for
account for, analyze, annotate, break down, bring out, clarify, clear up, construe, decipher, define, demonstrate, describe, diagram, disclose, elucidate, excuse, explicate, expound, get across, illustrate, interpret, justify, manifest, paraphrase, point out, put across, rationalize, read, refine, render, resolve, reveal, solve, spell out, teach, tell, translate, unfold, unravel, untangle, go into detail, make plain, put in plain English, set right, throw light upon.
connote, define, denote, imply, indicate, intend, mean, signify.
defend, deny, object, react, refute.
Examples of usage:
– Captain Jinks, Hero by Ernest Crosby
– The Campaner Thal and Other Writings by Jean Paul Friedrich Richter
– Frank's Campaign or the Farm and the Camp by Horatio Alger, Jr.
– The Nest, The White Pagoda, The Suicide, A Forsaken Temple, Miss Jones and The Masterpiece by Anne Douglas Sedgwick
– The Cross-Cut by Courtney Ryley Cooper